This text on 1 1/2 inch Can-Can contains instructions related to the pop can launcher pictured in cancan.gif (GET THIS, It took me a while to make and I like to show off. This is a relatively safe way to launch a pop can with the use of an “Inch n’ 1/2er” (1 1/2 inch fire cracker) and a regular (unmodified) coffee can
3.0 Materials List
3.1 Tools List
4.0 Pop Can Prepreation
4.1 Coffee Can Info
THIS INFORMATION IS FOR THE SOLE USE OF SHOW WHAT IS POSSIBLE AND WHAT CAN BE DONE WITH THE BELOW LIST OF MATERIALS. ALL AND ANY USE OF THE INFORMATION IN THIS DOCUMENT IS THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE USER. BY READING THIS THE READER TAKES ANY AND ALL RESPONSIBILITIES OF HIS OR HER ACTIONS!
3.0 Materials List 1
- Regular sized coffee can, (30 oz. or more will do just fine)
- (1 or more) 12 oz. soda pop can(s), (PERFECTLY UNCRUSHED!!!)
- Some Water not needed until 4.2 Assembly
- Lots of 1 1/2 inch fire crackers
3.1 Tools List
- (1) Electric hand held drill (a drill press will also work fine)
- (1) 1/4 inch drill bit
- (1) 1/16 inch drill bit
- (1) Awl or center punch (not required but is useful)
- (1) Tin snips (straight cut, yellow handled usually)
- (1) Fine cut file (not nessary if you are a good cut)
4.0 Pop Can Preperation
Take one soda can (preferable a name brand one) they have stronger walls and just tend to work better, turn this can over with bottom end up and with the awl or center punch slightly dent the center of bottom of the can (not necessary, just skip if you wish) and then in this dent drill a 1/16 inch hole and then widen that out by drilling it out again to 1/4 inch.
Now that that is done take the tin snips and trim off the top of the can, it helps if you start relatively close to the top and work your way down. Don’t cut down to far, no more than 3/4 of an inch from where the top used to be.
Make sure this is a nice clean cut and is nice and square (so the can sets upside down on it’s top cut end) and stands straight up. This must be nice and straight if it is not then file it, but remember at no time during this construction process EVER should you crush or even dent the sides of the can even slightly, this will lessen the life of the can.
Once all is done you can move on, your almost done. (oh you can make as many of these as you want, but they are good for usually a about 100 or so shots)
4.1 Coffee Can Info
This is a short section ( one sentence!! ) Fill the CLEAN coffee can up with about 1 to 2 inches of water (experiment, Note: a can full to the top of the pop can should make the can IMPLODE, cool EH??)
Take your coffee can with the water in it and a manpulated pop can out into the street or back yard and set it on a sturdy, level footing insert the pop can ( without a firecracker installed ) into the water in the center of the can ( bottom up ) and insert a firecracker into the hole ( hope you brought some out with you, and something to light them with ) until only about 1/8 of an inch is sticking out of the hole in the can.
Now you are probally ready for launch, if the firecracker fit into the hole without falling through or if it even fit at all. if it does not fit snugly try a diffrent firecracker, or make a new can, if it does not fit in, simply widen the hole out a bit. Now move on.
Light the fuse and step back far enough so you can’t see the fuse or the pop can, more if you wish. If all goes well the pop can should go up about 100 ft. ( at least )
If it did not go as high as you would like if might be:
- You are using weak firecrackers
- The firecracker was not properly inserted
- You might have two much water in the coffee can
- You might not have enough water in the coffee can
- IT WAS A DUD????
- It blew up ( SHRAPNALITIZED?? ) this is rare if you are using an “Inch n’ 1/2er” but you probally tried to modify this with oh say an M-80 and it blew the two piece of epoxy into the sides of the pop can and they keept going right through (maybe??)
7.0 Write Me
If you try this easy experiment and find a better way to make it work then TELL ME!! ok?
Also if you have any other ideas of how to launch a pop can of even a coffee can without making a motar can or other manner, please send it to me
Ps. THANXS and keep your fingers attached (you can’t type without ’em)